October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, an annual campaign to raise awareness about cybersecurity. Creating a culture of cybersecurity is critical for all organizations—large and small businesses, academic institutions, nonprofits, and government agencies—and is a responsibility shared among all employees.
Businesses face significant financial loss when a cyber attack occurs. Cybercriminals often rely on human error – from employees failing to install software patches to clicking on malicious links – to gain access to systems. From the top leadership to the newest employee, cybersecurity requires the vigilance of every employee to keep data, customers and capital safe and secure.
Follow these simple tips from the Stop.Think.Connect.™ campaign to help foster a culture of cybersecurity in your organization.
- When in doubt, throw it out. Stop and think before you open attachments or click links in emails. Links in email, instant message, and online posts are often the way cybercriminals compromise your computer. If it looks suspicious, it’s best to delete it.
- Back it up. Make electronic and physical back-ups or copies of all your important work. Data can be lost in many ways including computer malfunctions, malware, theft, viruses, and accidental deletion.
- Guard your devices. In order to prevent theft and unauthorized access, never leave your laptop or mobile device unattended in a public place and lock your devices when they are not in use.
- Secure your accounts. Use passwords that are at least eight characters long and a mix of letters, numbers, and characters. Do not share any of your usernames or passwords with anyone. When available, turn on stronger authentication for an added layer of security, beyond the password.
- Report anything suspicious. If you experience any unusual problems with your computer or device, report it to your IT Department immediately.
The Stop.Think.Connect. Campaign is a national public awareness effort that increases the understanding of cyber threats and empowers the American public to be safer and more secure online. For more information, visit http://www.dhs.gov/stopthinkconnect
BerganKDV is a local expert in cyber security. We provide you peace of mind knowing your organization is more secure and better protected from threats. For more information contact us.